ICAO and the United Arab Emirates collaborate on new global aviation award programme
At a special ceremony with H.E. Saif Mohammed Al-Suwaidi (below left), Director General of the General Civil Aviation Authority of the United Arab Emirates, ICAO Council President Dr. Olumuyiwa Benard Aliu signed an agreement establishing a framework for collaboration in support of the HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Global Aviation Award.
As part of the agreement, formalized on the sidelines of the Global Investment in Aviation Summit & Exhibition in Dubai, ICAO will provide information to the GCAA to facilitate the Award, established by the latter to encourage States, organizations and individuals to support the UN aviation agency’s Strategic Objectives, and to promote its No Country Left Behind (NCLB) initiative.
ICAO’s support to the Award includes the triennial provision of information on States that have concluded the highest number of bilateral Air Service Agreements, States that have recorded the highest increase in their financial contributions to ICAO’s Technical Assistance/Cooperation Programmes, and States that have made the highest increase in the volume of their non-financial contributions to ICAO’s Technical Assistance/Cooperation Programmes.
President Aliu recognized the crucial importance of the Award to continued ICAO compliance, and thanked the United Arab Emirates for its support of the NCLB initiative.
Established in 2016, a Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Aviation Award shines a light on States, organizations and individuals around the world, by recognizing their contribution to the success of aviation industry. This triennial award reflects UAE’s commitment to promote aviation and the support to ICAO’s ‘No Country Left Behind’ initiative.
- Of the six SMBR Global Aviation Award categories, two will be awarded through nominations. These are
- Aviation personality of the Triennium
- Innovation ( aviation safety, security, sustainability, passenger experience)
- To recognize individuals or entities who commit themselves to the advancement of the industry, those in the industry are asked to help find individuals or institutions who should be honoured and to help us find and share their story with the world.
- All GCAA/Strategic Partners staff and relatives are not eligible for the award, to guarantee a fair and impartial opportunity to all potential candidates.
- All submissions are equally important, nomination serves as great recognition of the efforts made by the proposed nominee.
- By nominating, you are letting committed people know that their efforts have not gone unrecognized, and are highly appreciated and encouraged by millions of people around the world.
- Winners are given an opportunity to present a summary of their winning work or project to the event participants to motivate
- others to achieve.
For more information on the steps you need to take to nominate someone or an entity for this award, please follow the instructions here.