The Global Aviation Security Plan (GASeP) was approved by the ICAO Council in November 2017 after being transmitted to States and international organizations for comments. Subsequently, the APAC Aviation Security Regional Roadmap was endorsed by the Regional Conference 2017 in Thailand to align the efforts of APAC States, international organizations and industries to achieve the objectives of the GASeP and Regional Roadmap.
Aspirational Global (and Regional) Targets:
- By 2020 80% of APAC States reach > 65% EI
- By 2023 90% of APAC States reach > 80% EI
- By 2030 100% of APAC States reach > 90% EI
(EI: The Effective Implementation score of a State under the ICAO Universal Security Audit Programme)
The ICAO APAC Regional Office (RO) and the Cooperative Aviation Security Programme – Asia Pacific (CASP-AP), have been focusing their efforts on implementing activities under the five key priorities as set out in the GASeP and the Regional Roadmap:
- Enhance Risk Awareness and Response – Workshops on Risk Management and Risk Context Statement were conducted with more planned for the coming years.
- Develop Security Culture and Human Capability in Aviation Security – At least seven ICAO-sponsored workshops and courses are provided to APAC States on an annual basis.
- Improve Technological Resources and Foster Innovation – Regional activities (e.g. RASCF, CASP-AP ATOM) are organized annually to share best practices, including the use of technology.
- Improve Oversight and Quality Assurance – Capacity building assistance is being implemented continuously to enhance States’ oversight and quality assurance capabilities in the region.
- Increase Regional Cooperation and Support – Coordination with Donor States/partners will continue to focus on maximizing resources while minimizing duplication of efforts in the assistance to States.