Partnerships: Key to COSCAP-SEA Programme Multiplying its Activities
The Cooperative Development of Operational Safety and Continuing Airworthiness Programme – South East Asia
(COSCAP SEA) is an ICAO Regional Technical Cooperation Programme that has the main objective of coordinating the provision of assistance to States to implement, improve and harmonize Safety Oversight in all USOAP technical areas and Safety Management, in collaboration with Partners.
COSCAP SEA Technical Assistance missions and training continue to be undertaken in the Member States, focused on supporting States in implementing, improving and maintaining their safety oversight systems, the benefits of which are reflected in the ICAO USOAP CMA Audit and ICVM results.
During the first half of 2019, the following regional training events have been organized by the COSCAP-SEA
Programme and held at the ICAO APAC Regional Office, with the valuable support of Airbus and Boeing:
- ICAO’s Using the Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air Course,
14-18 January 2019
- FAA Air Navigation Services Safety Oversight Workshop, 18-22 February 2019
- ICAO Risk-Based Surveillance Seminar and Flight Operations Inspectors Workshop, 4-7 March 2019
- ICAO Universal Safety Oversight Audit Programme Continuous Monitoring Approach Workshop,
20-22 March 2019
- SAA Resolution of Safety Issues Course, 22-26 April 2019
- ICAO Performance Based Navigation Operational Approvals Workshop, 20-24 May 2019
- ICAO Seminar on the new Global Reporting System and Format for Runway Condition Reports, 27-28 June 2019
- ICAO Aviation Safety Data Collection and Processing Systems Workshop, 2-5 July 2019
- ICAO Safety Management Systems for Practitioners Course, Civil Aviation Training Center, Bangkok, Thailand, 8-12 July 2019
- CAAI State Safety Oversight System Competency and Effectiveness Workshop, 17-19 July 2019
- ICAO Extended Diversion Time Operations Workshop, 22-26 July 2019
In August, the COSCAP SEA – EASA training programme, under the EU-South East Asia Aviation Partnership Project, kicked off the first State Safety Programme Implementation Course at the ICAO
APAC Regional Office, from 12 to 16 August 2019. The joint training programme delivered 20 regional and in-country courses over an 18-month period.
The 2nd ICAO – EASA Forum on Civil Aviation in South East Asia, focused on Safety, and the 19th COSCAPSEA
Steering Committee Meeting, will be held in Ha Long, Viet Nam, from 19 to 21 November 2019. More information on the COSCAP SEA is available here.
Further to the 18th COSCAP-SEA Steering Committee Meeting, which requested Member States and Partners to
consider offering experts to work in the COSCAP-SEA Programme office, Indonesia DGCA has assigned an
expert on a part-time basis for an initial one-year period to support the COSCAP-SEA programme. ICAO welcomes new partners which have contributed to COSCAP SEA activities including the Civil Aviation
Authority of Bangladesh and the Qatar Civil Aviation Authority.
Exciting Times Ahead For The COSCAP-SA
On 1 January 2019, COSCAP SA entered into a new Phase V! In addition to the traditional areas of OPS, AIR,
and PEL the new phase places more emphasis on AGA and ANS in terms of training and technical assistance. The purpose is to assist Member States in increasing their USOAP CMA effective implementations in those areas too. In addition, the COSCAP SA has introduced a new Capacity Building tool called the Electronic Capacity Building Matrix (E-CCBM) which enables APAC COSCAP Member States from the three sub-regions (South Asia, North Asia and South East Asia) to identify Civil Aviation Inspectors/officers who could provide support in terms of technical expertise including training and technical assistance to other Member States based on pure regional cooperation. This would also allow participating Member States to share their experiences and also learn and develop from other States best practices. The matrix is fully functional for South Asia and is near completion for the other sub-regions.
Updates from The COSCAP-NA
The COSCAP-NA Programme which was instituted in the year 2003, began Phase IV from 1 February 2018 for an additional 5-year period with the addition of the Administrations of Hong Kong China and Macau China to the membership of the COSCAP-NA programme. As of June 2019, COSCAP-NA has organized the following subregional events, parts of them with the valuable support of Airbus and Boeing:
- 21-26 January, DG recurrent TI and Safety Oversight Training in RSO, Beijing;
- 18-23 March, SMS Oversight and HIRM workshop in RSO, Beijing;
- 1-5 April, CAT Mission regarding the validation of certification of UB new international airport by RO Aerodrome Officer and CTAs of COSCAP-NA & SEA in UB, Mongolia;
- 24-25 April, 25th NARAST and 4th MC Meeting in RSO, Beijing;
- 13-17 May, PBN Operations Approval Workshop, organized in collaboration with ICAO HQ in RSO, Beijing;
- 17-21 June, SSP Gap analysis and Safety Management System in UB, Mongolia;
- 24-27 June, ICAO Updates and Safety Data Collection and Process System (SDCPS) workshop collaboratively organized with CAMIC of CAAC in CAMIC, Beijing;
In the later half year, COSCAP-NA is planning to organize the following events in the sub-region:
- 15-19 July, EDTO Workshop delivered by ICAO HQ in RSO, Beijing;
- 2-6 September, Human Performance/Human Factors Workshop in Seoul, ROK
- 9-13 September, USOAP Gap Analysis for Member States (SARs) in RSO Beijing;
- 17-20 September, HIRM for Operators workshop in Macao, China;
- 7-18 October, Flight operations Inspector Oversight Workshop in UB, Mongolia;
- 22-24 October, 26th NARAST 22 Oct and 19th SCM 23-24 October in RSO, Beijing.